Bursitis Symptoms and Home Remedies for BursitisNatural Supplements & Herbs
Bursitis is the inflammation of the bursa. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion, which reduces the friction between bones, ligaments, and tendons. In vigorous or repetitive movement, this friction of the bone over the bursa may cause inflammation of the entire structure and then it leads to pain and swelling. This condition is known as bursitis. Bursitis usually involves pain and swelling in a specific area. Bursitis affects the parts of the body that are used frequently, thus causing the bursa to become irritated. There are over 150 bursae throughout the human body, but bursitis most often affects the bursa at joints in the shoulders, elbows, and hips. The area affected by bursitis is also tender and there is pain whenever the inflamed area is moved. Varieties of factors contribute to bursitis. The actual cause of bursitis is usually overuse or injury of the joint.
Symptoms of Bursitis
Bursitis symptoms are directly related to the degree of inflammation present in the bursa. Symptoms of bursitis may include:
Pain that increases with movement of joint
Swollen, red, and warm joint area
Stiffness in the joint
Reddish or pinkish appearance
Home Remedies for Bursitis
There are various remedies that you can use at your home, either to treat bursitis or to prevent it. Here are some home remedies you can try:
1. Hot and cold compress: Continuous application of hot and cold compression alternatively will help to get relief from bursitis. It is a common remedy for bursitis.
2. Potato: In a cup of water, add a grated potato and steep it overnight. In the morning, drain the liquid and consume the grated potatoes in an empty stomach. For maximum benefit, it should be done on a daily basis to prevent bursitis. This is one of the proven home remedies for bursitis.
3. Cayenne Pepper: Combine 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. Dip a cloth in the cooled liquid and apply this cloth directly on the affected areas as a poultice.
4. Sesame Oil: Sesame oil is also one of the home remedies for bursitis. Massaging with warm sesame oil brings relief. Cover the areas applied with sesame oil with a piece of cloth or towel to maintain the warmth from the oil. The application of warm sesame oil will relieve the pain and lessen the swelling caused by bursitis.
5. Vitamin E: Apply vitamin E oil extract over the affected areas. Vitamin E will help relieve the pain and provide the necessary lubrication for the painful joints.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is another way to achieve bursitis relief. Stir 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of pure honey in a glass of water and take it with every meal.
7. Horseradish: Horseradish root is also an excellent and is one of the finest home remedies for bursitis. Take some fresh horseradish roots and grate them. Dip them in water and put in small porous bag. Apply the horseradish poultice directly over the inflamed joints. This herbal treatment will help alleviate the swelling and pain from bursitis.
8. Sandalwood: Sandalwood is also a helpful home remedy for the treatment of bursitis as it has soothing property. Prepare a paste using sandalwood powder and water. Apply the sandalwood paste to the painful joints to relieve the pain and promote healing of the bursitis.
9. Flaxseed Oil: Flaxseed oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, which reduces inflammation, and it is recommended for people with recurrent bursitis. To help manage bursitis, flaxseed oil supplements may be taken or you can obtain omega-3 fatty acids from other food sources. You can also topically apply flaxseed oil to the specific joints that are affected by bursitis. This natural remedy helps to reduce the inflammation of bursitis.
10. Ginger: Ginger is an effective natural antiinflammatory agent. A poultice made from crushed or ground root ginger can be applied over the affected area. Another of the possible natural remedies for bursitis is having ginger tea.
11. Alfalfa: Alfalfa is effective in the treatment and management of bursitis. It has powerful antiinflammatory properties and thus can relieve pain associated with bursitis. You can drink tea made up of alfalfa and also take alfalfa capsules to get fast relief from the joint pains and inflammations.
12. Castor Oil: One of the most effective home remedies for reducing bursitis is the application of castor oil over the affected area and covering it with cotton. It will give you relief from bursitis. The castor oil can also be heated before application for a more soothing effect.
13. Lavender Oil: Apart from its aroma, lavender oil is also one of the home remedies for bursitis. Adding few drops of pure lavender essential oil into bathtub prior to taking bath is also a great remedy to relieve the pain from bursitis.
14. Pineapple: Pineapple contains a natural compound called bromelain, which has been shown to lessen the inflammation associated with bruises, and also speeds up healing. Add pineapple to your diet as an antiinflammatory agent to help with the bursitis.
Follow a nutritious balanced diet especially include foods rich in calcium, vitamin B12, and magnesium when you are suffering from bursitis. They help decrease the pain and swelling of a bursa. Dark green, leafy vegetables are good sources of magnesium. Avoid eating foods that are acidic because they increase a person’s risk of acquiring bursitis. Refrain from eating red meat.
If you have got bursitis and it pains very much, then take bed rest for a few days.
Do not put pressure on the injured part. Take proper sleep of 7 to 8 hours, by doing this, your body muscles will remain in good shape and function well.
You should try to do 30 to 60 minutes of exercise daily, this should not have to be arduous exercise. However, light yoga exercises have proved particularly useful for bursitis. Yoga poses can help stretch major muscles that cause pain, thus relieving the pain from the joints caused by bursitis. Some yoga poses like Cobra, Forward Bend, Camel, Cat, Spinal Twist, and Cow are helpful for treating bursitis.
By applying home remedies for bursitis, you will get relief from this painful and irritating condition without any side effects.